When booking speaking engagements, some presenters only tend to focus on the client expectations and the bottom line. Although both are important, it’s also in speakers’ best interests to incentivize clients to pay in full prior to the engagement.
Why is this so important? Being paid in full ensures that events will not be canceled due to external factors, changes in management preferences, budgetary reductions, or other reasons. Here are some ways you can incentivize clients to hand you the money now:
- Pre-event survey. Include a pre-event and/or post-event survey to collect audience information that’s valuable to your client.
- Discount. Some companies have a policy that they must accept any available discounts. You may opt to offer a 2 to 5 percent discount with payment in full, which nets much more than zero if the event were to be canceled.
- Follow-up coaching. Might your audience benefit from follow-up coaching by phone or Zoom?
- Additional content. Add the temptation of a checklist, flow chart, questionnaire, or other reference piece.
- Supplemental reading. Allow the benefits of your presentation to continue by offering material written or selected by you.
- Debrief and recommendations. Suggest a post-meeting review of what went well, what could be improved, and how your audience might benefit from additional training or presentations. Your client will get a sense of your success and develop ways to engage your services in the future.