I Need A Speaker welcomes speakers of all experience levels, so it’s not uncommon for us to be asked how speakers should set fees. While we know the speakers are hoping for a more specific answer, we give everyone the same response: “Well, it depends on a lot of factors.”
Here are some things to consider when determining your fee:
- How much preparation time does the presentation involve?
- Will you be allowed to sell or promote your products or services?
- How frequently do you present? A speaker who is in demand can reasonably charge more than someone who presents only a few times per year. As you increase the number of presentations you deliver, your skills will continue to improve over time.
- Are you addressing a for-profit or non-profit group?
- Is this a topic or cause close to your heart? If you have a personal story or passionate message to share, being paid may not be important to you.
- Are you sharing printed or tangible materials as part of your presentation? If so, you’ll need to cover the cost of those items.
- If you are delivering specific value to the audience/event organizers, don’t be afraid to set a fee that is commensurate with your credentials/credibility and value.
It’s a complicated decision, we know. Because situations are different, we’ve included the option of “negotiable” fee in your profile.