I’ve participated in enough committee discussions to know that some organizations don’t have the funds to pay speaker fees. Today I’ll suggest that perhaps that fact doesn’t stop the process – with creativity, it can begin a conversation to negotiate terms.
Here are some ways speakers can be paid outside of the traditional transactional model of money for services:
- Place ads for the speaker’s services in organizational materials.
- Feature the speaker in social media accounts.
- Include information about the speaker on your website.
- Write an article or publish an interview with the speaker in your group’s newsletters.
- Offer a discount for the speaker’s products to your members.
- Barter products or services offered or sold by your organization.
- Extend membership in your organization.
- Allow use of your organization’s space or resources on a limited basis: printing, video conferencing, etc.
- Provide testimonials that can be used to promote the speaker.
A creative approach that results in a win-win situation will pay off for everyone!